Thursday, August 9, 2012

Oh Krishna You Are The Greatest Musician ... *Janmashtami Special*

Happy Janmashtami! It's the time of year when us Hindus celebrate the birth of Lord Krishna - the dark-skinned (NOT SKY BLUE), lotus-eyed, flute playing incarnation of Vishnu. I can't help but love all things related to Krishna. First of all when I was growing up we spent a lot of time at ISKCON temples hanging out with the Hare Krishnas, dancing and singing kirtan. Secondly, my mom was always like a teenager in love with Krishna. I seriously think she might be a reincarnation of Meerabai or something.

Anyway, to celebrate I compiled a playlist of my personal favorite Krishna-themed songs from Hindi films. Check them out if you get a chance, they range from the sublime ("Shyam Teri Bansi" from Geet Gata Chal) to the ridiculous ("O Krishna You Are The Greatest Musician" from Meera Ka Mohan -- seriously, watch it!).




BONUS SECTION:

Here's a few Tamil songs about Krishna that I could think of off the top of my head:


Did I miss your favorite? Let me know! And Happy Birthday Lord Krishna!

4 comments:

  1. There's this tamil song called enna thavam.
    mind numbingly beautiful does not cover it.

    I had to read up on the meaning of the words.

    i like the version from the malayalam movie thilakam. haven't heard any other version to make a comparo.

    If you needed one song to make your day - you found it.

    ravi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    I found your blog by searching for blogs on Bollywood, and I really like it. I’m currently researching Bollywood and Indian-American identity for my senior Sociology thesis at Wheaton College, MA, and I’d love to be able to email you some questions or interview you in person, if you’d have time to speak with me. I’d really appreciate your help by either participating or letting me know of any Indian-Americans you think might be interested in participating.

    Thank you so much!
    Nadine Biss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadine, would be happy to speak with you! You can email me or contact me via twitter anytime. :-)

      Delete
  3. Ravi - thanks for your comment! I love the song Enna Thavam - it's a very well known Carnatic song composed by Papanasam Sivan in one of my favorite raagams (Kaapi). I haven't heard the version from Thilakam but will look it up. They had an excerpt of it in a song from the Tamil movie Parthiban Kanavu too. I danced to the Carnatic version by Sudha Raghunathan years ago. One of my favorite classical songs for sure.

    ReplyDelete