Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Song of the Day: Rommy times with Govinda in the 90s

I had this song stuck in my head this morning and couldn't stop humming it ... it's been so long since I blogged but I thought I might as well share it.

I first came across this song in a commercial for Mahasangraam which was on some VHS tape of some Hindi movie we watched fairly often. It was just a snippet of the verse so I didn't get too excited. Then there was an audio trailer for the soundtrack on some cassette tape so I heard more of the full song and thought it was really pretty. Obviously I bought the soundtrack for Madhuri Dixit's fabulous "I Love You Pyar Karoon Choon" - which was super popular when it came out - but this song was a great little bonus.

Love Amit Kumar's crooning and Anuradha Paudwal sounds as sweet as ever - the guitar strumming and strings plus that jhankaar-ish beat is so signature 90s. Even though this soundtrack was by Anand-Milind, it has a certain sound I associate with Nadeem-Shravan - who produced some of my favorite soundtracks of the 90s. Certain parts of it, like the piano interludes and the horns at the end of the interlude remind me a bit of Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak (Akele Hai To Kya Ghum Hai, specifically) so I guess it is typical of Anand-Milind, but overall there's an ultra romantic Aashiqui hangover to this song.

Also I badly want to go to a party in that room where Govinda is performing. Look at those disco lights! Granted I may not choose to wear a floor length giant puffed sleeves (Anne of Green Gables would be jealous!) frock-gown like Shaheen, but then I am not attending my Catholic high school graduation here. BTW did you know she was Saira Banu's niece? Neither did I! Govinda is in full form here. Sooo rooting for him, especially when he gets decked by Shaheen's real life husband Sumeet Saigal at the end. I want to punch them both too though, cause I'm so jealous of all the romantic loveliness. Hahahaha! Man, I miss the 90s. I know, I'm pretty much the only one. But music like this makes me really nostalgic.

Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Hope you are doing well.

    We at Dark Horse Media (Mumbai) are a digital marketing agency and primarily work on Bollywood related projects. I came across your blog, which we found very well-thought written and interesting.

    We are currently working with Mr Ajay Devgn and managing his social properties, It would be great if you could blog about Mr Ajay Devgn depending on the areas of interest of-course.

    Do let me know how we could take this forward.

    Thanks,
    Cherry Khemka

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through your site and was wondering if you would be keen to be part of this upcoming book project - AN UNOFFICIAL GUIDEBOOK TO SURVIVING IN THE US.

    Submission guidelines here - https://www.sunaynapal.com/51-stories-of-us
    Connect on FB here - https://www.facebook.com/51storiesofus/

    ReplyDelete