Thursday, May 13, 2010

Song of the Day: Shameless self-promotion

So when I was a teenager my sisters and I had this band called Ishara, we used to perform Hindi songs at birthdays, graduations, weddings, etc. and we were quite popular back in the day, not necessarily because we were really good musicians or anything, but because we were fun to watch. My eldest sister was our main singer and she was uber-talented, but I was not really much of a keyboardist ... I took one week of piano lessons at age 6 and then quit. All the playing I did for our band was by ear, and I used to mess up all the time. The funny thing is our audiences didn't seem to care much. For one, I think my sister's talent carried us all ... and two, we were having so much fun up there together, goofing around, laughing, dancing, being sisters, that I think our audiences just had fun watching us.

So when I had Tarif Karoon Kya Uski from Kashmir Ki Kali (1964) stuck in my head today, I thought rather than post a link to the original video or song, I'd post a video of us performing it. The singer is our extremely close family friend Gopal, the guitarist is our adopted brother, and the three marching sillies are my sisters and me. For some reason, it seemed like a good song to march to.

No comments:

Post a Comment