REKHALICIOUS OCTOBER (thanks to Sujoy from One Knight Stands)- or Rekhatober as we've been calling it on Twitter! And I can't praise this lovely lady enough. She is one of the few Bollywood stars I actually had the opportunity to meet, back when she came in concert to Detroit in 1982 (she was the headliner, Anil Kapoor and Meenakshi Seshadhri were her opening acts). A photographer found out my then 7 year old sister Anjali was Rekha's biggest little fan. Anj had been performing Rekha's "Dil Cheez Kya Hai" at various community events for the past year and the photographer recognized her and took us to meet her. I tell a bit more about this story in my Sridevipalooza preview post. The highlight was definitely getting to dance the Alarippu (Bharatanatyam dance) for her, and she was so excited she jumped right up and posed in Alarippu position with us for a picture (I have no idea where this picture is today).
I'm not terribly on top of Rekha's filmography - there's definitely a huge chunk of her early movies as well as the mid-to-late 80s and 90s movies that I missed. Well, I can't totally say I MISSED them (cough cough, Madame X).
But I did identify 15 songs that I always think of when I think of Rekha, and here they are!
Detailed Listing of Songs:
1. Ghum Hai Kisi Ki Pyar Mein - Raampur Ka Lakshman (1972)
2. Dil Machal Raha Hai - Khalifaa (1976)
3. Tere Bina Jiya Jayen Na - Ghar (1978)
4. Kahe Manva Naache - Alaap (1977)
5. Salaam-E-Ishq - Muqaddar Ka Sikandar (1978)
6. Pardesiya - Mr. Natwarlal (1979)
7. O Sheronwali - Suhaag (1979)
8. Piya Bawri - Khubsoorat (1980)
9. In Aankhon Ki Masti - Umrao Jaan (1981)
10. Yeh Ladki Hai Ya Shola - Silsila (1981)
11. Dheere Dheere - Agar Tum Na Hote (1983)
12. Ankhiyon Mein - Nishaan (1983)
13. Man Kyun Behka - Utsav (1984)
14. Pyar Do Pyar Lo - Janbaaz (1986)
15. Maine Tujhe Khat Likha - Mera Pati Sirf Mera Hai (1990)
Hope you enjoy! Now that I mentioned it, I think I AM going to have to compile Rekha's Mujra dances into a mother list. Will try to do that when I return home from vacay (this is my rushed vacay post for Rekhatober!).
Have a Rekhalicious day!
Well, Manipur doesn't want your movies anyway.
9 hours ago