Saturday, March 5, 2011

Deol Dhamaka: Sunny in a playful mood!

And the DEOL DHAMAKA fun continues!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to post as much as I'd hoped between the vacation I just came back from (Jamaica was AMAZING! I highly recommend The Grand Palladium Jamaica, where we stayed - a fabulous all-inclusive and really stunning property) and sending my laptop in for repair ... so I'm doing these quicker posts to stay a part of the fun. I have already screencapped several films that I hope to do a full review of as soon as possible. In the meantime, I have these song lists that kept popping into my head and I wanted to share them.

Now that we've all seen the softer side of Sunny, let's take a look now at his playful side! There are several songs that pop into my head when I think of fun times with Sunny ...

Mera Dil Le Gayi - Ziddi (1997)
I LOVE Sunny in this one. He always seems on the verge of laughing. It just seems like he's letting go of his fear of dancing and having fun with it! Oh they really pushed him to dance in this one, and it just looks like he worked so hard to get those steps. But then he flashes that blinding smile and who cares about the steps! This just looks like fun!
*I choreographed this song for a couple of kids for their community Diwali show once ... it's still one of my favorite filmi dances I've set up. I had to borrow that walking forward step.


Dhola Dhol Manjira - Joshilaay (1989)
This is definitely a Sridevi show all the way. She's rocking it, and her hip-shaking moves are out of this world. But I get a huge grin on my face from the moment Sunny jumps into the screen (causing Sri to hilariously roll her eyes). They're playing off each other, and it is so fun to watch. I don't care if he's mostly walking around while Sri dances away, he's still part of the fun!


Na Jane Kahan Se Aayi Hai - Chaalbaaz (1989)
Classic. Again, this is a Sridevi show (I WANT her rain slicker), but from the moment Sunny rolls up on his motorcycle the fun level goes up ... Sridevi's best when she has someone to play off of, and Sunny provides that - he's the kind of co-star that best allows her to shine and doesn't compete with her for the lions share of attention (the way I sometimes feel Anil Kapoor does). Somehow he reminds me more of his dad in this song than he usually does. Maybe it's the jovial attitude.

Mein Nikla Gaddi Leke - Gadar: Ek Prem Katha (2001)
I like Sunny in this enough to ignore Amisha Patel, who really grates on my nerves. She's like the modern day Vijeyta Pandit. But Sunny is so cute and earnest in this one (even with the excessive kajal in his eyes). I unfortunately haven't seen the movie (I'd really have to battle my Amisha dislike), but it was quite a hit. And I don't think I've ever seen Sunny so smiley. It makes me smile.


Ang Se Ang Lagana - Darr (1993)
I love me some Darr. And though this song is definitely more Anupam Kher's than anyone else's, Sunny's part comes in at about 3:05 and is quite fun. I mean it's Holi after all. Unfortunately I'm a bit scared of Holi after the combination of this (creepy stalker SRK) and the terrifying Holi scene in Damini, but I digress. Can anyone explain to me why the spoken word part starting at 4:08 goes on for SO FREAKING LONG???


Jano Janam Jaaneman - Sultanat (1986)
I too would like to frolick in a kiddie pool on the Arabian Nights set with Sheikh!Sunny. And clearly a guy that will CosPlay with you has got to be good fun. And he even made a giant sand heart stage to dance on with Sridevi.


If anyone else finds any fun/playful Sunny Deol gems on YouTube, I'd love to see them! And for all the fun Deol Dhamaka posts from my BollyBlogging friends, be sure to check out the links here - so many great films being recapped!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you have like, an encyclopedic knowledge of filmi songs! MORE, MORE! I love it, Sunny's dancing is so endearing. I like him more and more as Deol Dhamaka goes on! AND I FREAKING LOVE THAT SONG FROM SULTANAT! (Am working on my review RIGHT NOW)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I started off thinking Sunny looked all out of his depth with Sridevi, and the more clips of them I watched, the more I thought maybe Sunny was all "heck, folks are just here to watch her dance, so *I'm* not getting in the way of that. Call me when it's time to splash in the pool..." And I love that clip from Sultanat, it's in my Evolution of Sunny series of posts. The heart! The water pool!

    ReplyDelete