Thursday, June 2, 2011

Kapoor Khazana: Dance Like a Kapoor Playlist! *Raj and Randhir Kapoor*

It's JUNE and that means it's time to celebrate KAPOOR KHAZANA! The wonderful and gracious Katherine of Totally Filmi has organized a month-long celebration of the illustrious Kapoor Clan - the Hindi Film Fraternity's Royal Family, if you will. If by chance you aren't familiar with the Kapoors, then I'd definitely recommend checking out what Wikipedia has to say -- *NOTE, their post includes a Family Tree! Fabulous!

Now because I'm a dancer and think foremost about dance before anything else - I decided to start my celebration with a playlist of dance songs! However my list became so unmanageable for one post that I decided to split it off into a series of posts, beginning with the earlier generations and ending with Kareena and Ranbir.

Sadly, I am not too familiar with the works of our grand patriarch, Prithviraj Kapoor. Besides the grand-scale Mughal-E-Azam, I don't know that I've seen any of his film work (which I really must rectify). And in thinking of Mughal-E-Azam songs, I had to conclude that none really featured him enough to be considered as part of this list (though I do love watching him look all apoplectic in "Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya").

So I will begin my 'Dance Like a Kapoor' playlist with the fun and frolicking songs of Raj and Randhir Kapoor! Since their films rarely featured them dancing, nor were they the dancing sensations that Shammi and Rishi were, I have put this father-son team together in my list-making frenzy. I'm sure I have missed plenty of wonderful songs, so please do share ones that I have forgotten or may not be aware of!

Here we go! (in random order)

Ramaiya Vasta Vaiya - Shree 420 (1955)
Ok, admittedly Raj Kapoor doesn't dance in this - the dancing is mostly by the fabulous Sheila Vaz (also featured in the song "Leke Pehla Pehla Pyar" from CID). But this song is just so joyous and fun. There's been much speculation about the lyrics (the 1st line is apparently a Telugu folk song). I was particularly tickled by some online commenter's suggestion that the 2nd line ("Maine dil tujhko diya") also fits with the Telugu theme in that it discusses heart transplants and everyone knows that all Telugu people become cardiologists. Hahaha!



Nineteen Fifty Six - Anari (1959)
Before there was "Disco '84" and "Disco '82", there was "Nineteen Fifty-Six"! And seriously, if ANYONE can get Raj Kapoor to dance, it's gotta be HELEN!



Laga Chunari Mein Daag - Dil Hi To Hai (1963)
Again, not an active participant in the dancing, but Raj Kapoor certainly creates quite the character in this song! The dancer is apparently a featured performer from Telugu movies of the time, Padmini Priyadarshini. But definitely a CLASSIC song, particularly for dancers that enjoy classically-based filmi music (HOLLA!)




Budda Mil Gaya - Sangam (1964)
Again the trend of being an observer rather than active participant in the dancing, but still I love this song! It's so fun! It has costume changes! Vyjayanthimala dancing about and being silly! Raj Kapoor making his cute, irritated faces! And when my sisters and I had a band back in the day, ladies used to always request this song to dedicate to their husbands on their birthdays (meanies). And then they used to dance to it. Yep, rocking out on the dance floor to "Budda Mil Gaya". It was awesome.



Daag Na Lag Jaye - Mera Naam Joker (1970)
I MUCH prefer Raj Kapoor when he's having fun to him angsting. He just looks like he's having a blast in this qawaali with Padmini. And man, do these Kapoors know how to qawaali! Obvs, I love Rishi Kapoor's qawaalis the most, but it's clear where he gets his passion from.




Jaane Jaan Dhoondtha Phir Raha - Jawani Diwani (1972)
Finding dance songs for Randhir Kapoor is just as difficult as finding them for his dear old dad. And granted, this song isn't exactly a dance-dance song. But it IS one of Randhir's best songs, if not THE best song. And personally, I'D dance to this song. I loooove the smooth 70s beat and the addictive tune. I feel like wearing a sari and a bouffant hairdo and shimmying about. And there ARE some pretty good remixes of this song floating around out there. R.D. Burman music seriously rocks my world. Side note: that doll that Jaya Bhaduri is carrying scares me.




Koi Mane Ya Na Mane - Chacha Bhatija (1977)
Okay, it's VERY rare that Dharmendra doesn't outshine whoever he's on-screen with. But I really think that Randhir holds his own in this one. His expressions are fantastic! And for what it's worth, Dharam actually makes him look like a pretty good dancer (we all love Dharam but really, he's not a dancer. He's so adorable we don't care, but still). I never realized how much Randhir and Rishi Kapoor resemble each other! I never thought there WAS a resemblance, but wow, do I see it now!




Aap Yahan Aaye Kis Liye - Kal Aaj Aur Kal (1971)
This is a movie I HAVE TO SEE. I can't believe I haven't seen this. Come on, it stars three generations of Kapoors - Prithviraj Kapoor, Raj Kapoor and Randhir Kapoor. It also stars Babita, Randhir's ex-wife and mother of Karishma and Kareena Kapoor. This song was also featured in the extremely long medley in the movie Mujhse Dosti Karoge (which starred Kareena Kapoor, Rani Mukherjee and Hrithik Roshan). The song also features the famous 'RK black umbrella' which Kay from Totally Filmi recently blogged about.




Mukh Pe Jo Chidka Paani - Dharam Karam (1975)
Finally some real dancing! Go Randhir Go! But I am very confused as to why his elders (including real-life Daddy Raj Kapoor) are looking on this display so indulgently ... it really sort of borders on overtly racy. Particularly with all the attempts to pull of Rekha's clothing.




Waqt Se Pehle - Biwi O Biwi (1981)
I can't think of a stranger pairing than Randhir Kapoor and Poonam Dhillon, but there it is. Something about the picturization of this song brings to mind the oddness of "Sochenge Tumhe Pyar" from Deewana. There's also some nice chandeliers that Shweta from Apni East India Company would appreciate.




Dhola Dhola - Kachcha Chor (1977)
Randhir is only an audience member in this one, but I HAD to include a dance-off between Rekha and Helen! I mean, come ON! And aren't the colors of those outfits so reminiscent of another song from that same year?





Bachke Rehna Re Baba - Pukar (1983)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song! It is so fun, so peppy, and just so dancey! Both Zeenat and Tina Munim look so fresh and pretty, and Randhir seems to be having a blast out there.


Stay tuned for the next set of Kapoor dance songs - SHAMMI KAPOOR!

3 comments:

  1. <3 i have such a soft spot for Randhir :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so much of love. So. Freaking. Much.

    If you're looking for multi-generational Kapoor, look no further than Awaara: Raj, Prithviraj, a cameo by Prithviraj's father, and mini-Shashi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello sir
    sir i want Bollywood kapoor family tree sir can you provide me the info about kapoor family tree ....

    ReplyDelete