Sunday, June 5, 2011

Kapoor Khazana: The origins of those crazy nicknames!

This is sort of a mini-post, because I don't want to comment too heavily on these videos except to say how FREAKING ADORABLE they are and HOW MUCH I LOVE THESE GUYS and HOW CUTE IS NEETU??? But this episode of our favorite show to love/hate on, Koffee with Karan, features the three sons of Raj Kapoor - Randhir, Rishi (♥) and Rajeev. We get a lovely bonus of having the beautiful Neetu Singh also join them, along with the rarely seen sister of these guys, Reema.

There's a pretty good discussion of where all the silly Kapoor nicknames (Daboo, Chintu, Chimpoo, Lolo, Bebo, etc.) come from, which is worth checking out. I think Ranbir needs one of these crazy nicknames, despite Rishi's protests. Anyone got a good one for him? Perhaps 'Nangoo' - in tribute to his little naked dance in Saawariya? But mostly I like this episode because it's like hanging out with three drunk Punjabi uncles ... which I've been known to do occasionally. Hee Hee!

FYI, Daboo is hilarious!

4 comments:

  1. OHOHOH! In the Kapoor book I'm pretty sure it mentions Ranbir's nickname! I can't remember what it was (I'm at work, the book's at home) but I remember reading it SO VIVIDLY because I was all like "WAIT, WHAT! I THOUGHT RANBIR WAS ALL LIKE 'I MISSED OUT ON THE NICKNAME THING' ".

    Of course it might be that he had one when he was a kid and grew out of it or whatever, DAMMIT I need the book now! Someone look that ish up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ness - you really need to tell me about your soft spot for Randhir!! I want to hear how this developed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OKAY I am home now and I have the book in front of me...maybe during Kapoor Khazana it should be The Book. Anyway. Page 301, re: Ranbir:

    "A plump child, he was nicknamed Gonglu...

    - so I guess it's a childhood nickname that hasn't stuck, OR that they are trying to keep on the downlow HAH BY DENYING ALL KNOWLEDGE!

    I actually haven't seen hardly any Randhir films (I think I only own a couple) but what I have seen of him onscreen and read of him, plus his interviews, he just comes across as a big cuddly loveable normal guy. Plus I think I feel a bit sad for him that he wasn't more successful because of the whole inbuilt competitive Kapoor thing - how each kapoor has to kind of distinguish themselves from the others and people thought he was too similar (screen persona wise) to Raj. I just have sympathy for underdogs, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my absolute favourite KwK episode - I love it and have watched it God knows how many times.

    ReplyDelete