Monday, August 8, 2011

Iconic SPB - some of my favorite Bala songs!

There is absolutely no way to really represent all that there is to love about S.P. Balasubramaniam. That booming, powerful, distinctive voice really speaks for itself. I've been to three SPB Concerts in my life, and loved every moment of each one. I would totally go to a million more. I remember the first time I was sitting in the auditorium for his concert ... I closed my eyes as he started singing and inexplicably, Salman Khan's face flashed before my eyes. Damn Raamlaxman! Their use of SPB as the 'voice' of Salman in films like Maine Pyar Kiya, Patthar Ke Phool, and Hum Aapke Hai Koun has permanently fixed a Salman=SPB equation in my mind, even though I don't think it actually suits him at all. You'll note that the end of my playlist below is heavy on Salman songs ... I couldn't help it!

So when Githa of Words from a Lotus mentioned that she was doing SPB Day, I immediately started trying to compile my favorite songs. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I am SUCH a fan of his that it was absolutely impossible for me to do so in a day. So many, many days later, here is my humble playlist of favorite SPB songs. This is by no means a comprehensive list, I'm sure there are many more that I've forgotten, but these were definitely the ones that came to mind first!

I've started with Telugu, Tamil and then Hindi - so it's not quite in a 'real' order, just by language. Enjoy the voice of this LEGEND!



My Favorite SPB Songs Playlist:
 
- Shankara Nada Shareera - Shankarabharanam (1981)
- Nada Vinodamu - Sagara Sangamam (1983)
- Mannil Inda Kadhal - Keladi Kanmani (1990)
- Ilaiyanila - Payanangal Mudivathillai (1982)
- Pani Vizhum Malarvanum - Ninaivellam Nithya (1982)
- Pothi Vecha Malligai- Mannvasanai (1983)
- Punjai Undu Nenjai Undu - Unnal Mudiyam Thambi (1988)
- Kala Kala Magam - Punnagai Mannan (1986)
- Guruvayoorappa - Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal (1989)
- Rathiriyil Poothirikkum - Thanga Magan (1983)
- Priya Priya O Priya- Kattabomman (1993)
- Devi Sri Devi - Vaazhve Mayam (1982)
- Rum Bum Bum - Michael Madana Kamarajan (1990)
- Mettupodu - Duet (1994)
- Madathile - Veera (1994)
- En Veetu Thottathil - Gentleman (1993)
- Oruvan Oruvan - Muthu (1995)
- O Maria - Saagar (1985)
- Dil Deewana - Maine Pyar Kiya (1989)
- Aaja Shaam Hone Aayi - Maine Pyar Kiya (1989)
- Tumse Milne Ki Tamanna Hai - Saajan (1990)
- Tumse Jo Dekhte Hi Pyar Hua - Patthar Ke Phool (1991)
- Sun Beliya - 100 Days (1991)
- Saathiya Tune Kya Kiya - Love (1991)
- Aaja Aaja Give Me A Kiss - Love (1991)
- Pehla Pehla Pyar Hai - Hum Aapke Hai Koun (1994)
- Teri Hi Arzoo - Chandramukhi (1993)

Painting by Venkat Meruvu



5 comments:

  1. nice painting of SP BALU sir

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Lovely Work. All the best Venkat Meruvu.

    covai ravee

    ReplyDelete
  3. This picture i attached the following blog. Kindly visit.

    www.myspb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love SPB songs.. and they do suit Salman a lot.. the husky soulful playful voice.. but not teh current bulky Salman.. the 90s skinny cute silly boy

    ReplyDelete