Friday, August 20, 2010

SRIDEVIPALOOZA: Self-referencing the Sri


One of the most interesting things about the Sridevi phenomenon is how her star-power as a heroine often eclipsed the hero, which is not something one sees too often in Indian cinema. She had the charisma, the chops and the fanbase to carry a movie on her own.

 She's certainly not the only actress to do so. One can argue that even some contemporary actresses, like Aishwariya Rai or Priyanka Chopra have that ability as well (I disagree, but that's just me).

But how many actresses have had meta-songs created for them?

I have always been amused by songs that reference Sridevi the Star within them, and just wanted to share a few of them with you:







And one of my favorites!



Just some fun! And though today is the last official day of SRIDEVIPALOOZA, for me it will continue, I have quite a few of my favorite films of hers to review, including Meendum Kokila, Masterji, Gair Kanooni, Moondram Pirai, Justice Chowdhary and Devaragam just to name a few!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I just watched my first full Sridevi film last night and I can totally see how she's able to captivate an audience--she has that little extra spark that I don't see in the "beauty queen generation" of modern actresses. I can't say that I've seen any other self-referential songs before like these--though in one Aish film one of the characters says to her "who do you think you are? Aishwarya Rai? Pffft." Close enough I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup i'm a bit late to the party, but this week is my own sridevipalooza as i was way too busy all of last week to post anything

    ReplyDelete